Life as a new parent is a wild ride, especially in the first year. Prepare yourself for early childhood milestones like diaper rash, teething pain and the common cold by stocking your baby first-aid kit with safe and effective prevention and care products specially chosen for babies and young children.
Being prepared with the right baby first-aid products will help you give your little one relief right when she needs it – whether she’s up late with teething pain or sniffling instead of snoozing. Of course, if your baby’s symptoms seem serious, always trust your gut and call your pediatrician.
Common Baby Ailments
- Common Cold: By the time they reach their first birthday, most babies have had up to seven colds. The good news? You can treat most common colds in babies by providing plenty of fluids and keeping the air moist with a humidifier. If your infant is very young, however, schedule a visit with your pediatrician, as younger babies are at greater risk for croup (often recognized by its “barking” cough) and pneumonia (which often comes with a high fever).
- Diaper Rash: Almost every baby will get a diaper rash at least once by the time they turn 3 – and diaper rash is most common amongst babies 9-12 months old. To prevent diaper rash, change babies’ diapers regularly and either pat their diaper areas dry, or let them air dry uncovered. Apply a zinc oxide diaper cream at every diaper change to treat existing diaper rash and prevent new occurrences.
- Teething Pain: Most babies cut their first tooth by 7 months – and when they do, they may experience pain, and even fever. To help provide your infant or baby with teething pain relief, rub their gums with a clean finger or give them something cool (not frozen) to gnaw on. Dry excessive drool to prevent skin irritation, and talk to your doctor about over-the-counter treatments for gum soreness.
Gather Your Go-To Baby First-Aid Essentials
Despite your best efforts, fevers, congestion, rashes, scrapes and bruises can still happen. Ease the pain with a full range of wound care products, bandages and baby first-aid supplies intended for your smallest family members.* Check out this list of products when you build your DIY baby first-aid kit.
- NEOSPORIN® First Aid Antiseptic Foaming Liquid to ease pain and prevent infection
- NEOSPORIN® + Pain Relief Cream for Kids** to ease pain and prevent infection
- BAND-AID® Brand Gauze Pads to cover cuts, scrapes or burns
- BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products HURT-FREE® Wrap for gentle wound coverage
- Infants’ TYLENOL® Oral Suspension+ to relieve baby’s pain and reduce fever
- Children’s TYLENOL® Oral Suspension++ to relieve child’s pain and reduce fever
- BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Mirasorb Gauze Sponges to clean wounds
- BAND-AID® Brand Star Wars Adhesive Bandages to gently cover wounds
- Antiseptic swabs to disinfect wounds
- Tweezers to pluck out splinters or stingers
- Scissors to cut gauze and trim bandages
- First-Aid manual for quick answers when you need them
- Nasal bulb aspirator to clear little nostrils and help baby breathe clearly
- Thermometer to monitor fever
- Rehydrating liquids to treat diarrhea and prevent dehydration
Check your kit regularly to make sure it’s up-to-date, easy to access, and filled with all of the first-aid kit essentials you need. Knowing you’re prepared with a well-stocked first-aid kit will help you rest easy – and let you focus on keeping your little one healthy and well.
* Use all products only as directed.
** Adults and children ages 2 and up. Under 2 years of age: Consult a doctor.
+Ages 24 to 36 months: follow dosing instructions. Under 2 years of age: Consult a doctor.
++Ages 24 months to 11 years: follow dosing instructions. Under 2 years of age: Consult a doctor.
©Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. 2019