Improving Product Sustainability with EARTHWARDS®
Moving Towards a Healthy Future
At Johnson & Johnson, we believe designing and manufacturing more sustainable products is key to creating a healthy future. The EARTHWARDS® approach embodies our commitment to product stewardship and defines how we address our environmental and social impacts. We use it to engage product development teams and drive continuous product innovation by designing more sustainable solutions across a product’s lifecycle.
EARTHWARDS® In Action
As of 2015, more than 60 products have qualified for EARTHWARDS® recognition. Two examples of EARTHWARDS® recognized consumer products are:
AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL Shampoo and Conditioner
- Reduced energy use by converting a transportation route from truck to rail,
- Harvested the seaweed extract ingredient through sustainable farming practices.
- Awarded grants to organizations making a positive impact within their local community.
NEUTROGENA® Naturals is our first full product line to have each of its products achieve EARTHWARDS® recognition.
- Chose pure, safe ingredients that are naturally derived.
- Used PCR (post-consumer recycled content) in many of the cartons and bottles
- Optimized distribution resulting in Energy savings
- Partnered with The Nature Conservancy, an organization that works to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
The Product Scorecard
A proprietary scorecard is used to evaluate products in seven key categories with the most potential for environmental and social gains.
Meet consumer needs with less material.
Use more environmentally preferable material.
Use more sustainable packaging materials.
Create a less energy-intensive product.
Use more efficient manufacturing and distribution processes.
Reduce waste during manufacturing.
Recover more products for reuse or recycling.
Generate a more water-efficient product.
Make manufacturing process more water-efficient.
Initiate quantifiable environmental improvements in a product or process that
have not been captured in another scorecard category.
Use fair-trade materials, select socially responsible suppliers, or support causes with clear social/environmental benefits.
For more information, visit the EARTHWARDS® Product Stewardship Page.