How to Make Your Face Less Scary After Halloween
By Daisy Teh, The It Mom
Halloween is a great time to get creative with your makeup, but it's the after-party clean-up on your skin that you need to prioritize. Costume makeups are usually meant to be worn for short periods of time, and may contain latex and other inexpensive ingredients that can irritate the skin.
But following these before-and-after steps can help minimize the skin irritation caused by Halloween makeup, so you look scary the night of but your usual glowing self the next morning.
Clean Your Makeup Brushes:
It's important to make sure your skin and your makeup application brushes are clean so that anything that touches your face is free from as clean as possible.
Here's a list of things you'll need to clean your makeup brushes:
- JOHNSON'S® HEAD-TO-TOE® Baby Wash
- Clean sink area (for cleaning and to also utilize lukewarm, running water)
- Clean, dry lint-free face towel
Guide to cleaning your makeup brushes is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Place all of your brushes under a sink of running lukewarm water to break up and rinse away the residual makeup. Keep the handle of the brush out of the water as much as possible to avoid damaging the glue and loosening your brush handle over time.
- Fill the palm of your hand with JOHNSON'S® HEAD-TO-TOE® Baby Wash.
- Grab one of your makeup brushes and gently swirl the brush head into the cleanser to create a lather.
- Rinse each brush (one at a time, one by one) with bristles facing downward through running lukewarm water (don't forget to avoid wetting or lathering the handle).
- Use your fingers to comb through and rinse the bristles. Repeat this step until the makeup brush runs clear.
- Finally, use your clean, dry lint-free face towel to gently blot the bristles dry and reshape them back into place as you go.
- Once you're done, lay your brushes flat on the same towel to allow it time to dry.
It's best to clean your brushes 24 hours ahead of time to allow them to fully dry and reshape before you use them.
Next, it’s time to wash your face – and body, depending on your costume/makeup – before you apply Halloween makeup. What you’ll need:
For the face:
- NEUTROGENA® Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes (to remove heavy make-up)
- NEUTROGENA® Deep Clean Gentle Scrub (to deep clean your face)
For the body:
- AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Yogurt Body Wash
- AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Body Yogurt Lotion Vanilla & Oats
- First, remove any makeup you already have on currently. These NEUTROGENA® Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes have been super effective in removing my makeup, including waterproof and water-resistant cosmetics.
- Next, deep-clean your skin using the NEUTROGENA® Deep Clean Gentle Scrub. Wet your face first and apply a pea-sized amount to the palm of your hand and scrub by massaging gently in circular motions (avoid contact with the delicate eye area) and rinse thoroughly.
- Finally, complete your normal skincare regimen (I use toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen). You'll want to prep your face with these steps before applying Halloween makeup and also repeat when it's time to remove your makeup so that your skin stays clean, healthy-looking and free of makeup residue.
Planning some “me time” after your Halloween adventures wrap this year? After indulging in some Halloween goodies, try the new AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Yogurt Collection. AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Body Yogurt Collection blends the power of ACTIVE NATURALS® Oatmeal and the moisture-boosting ingredients found in yogurt. With an indulgent fragrant experience, AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Body Yogurts are good for the skin as well as the senses. Yum!
To use the new Body Yogurt Wash, apply a small amount to your loofah sponge during your shower, lather your skin, and rinse thoroughly. The body wash will powerfully, yet gently cleanse all of your Halloween body makeup off after a fun night of trick or treating.
To use the new Yogurt Body Lotion, simply apply AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Body Yogurt Vanilla & Oats generously to skin to replenish moisture and leave skin feeling velvety soft.
What I love about the AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Daily Moisturizing Body Yogurt Collection is that it leaves your skin feeling and looking softer and healthier-looking. The lotion moisturizes dry skin for up to 48 hours, which is essential for me living in the desert (Las Vegas isn't too forgiving with moisture). And when used together, the body wash and lotion provide 2X the nourishment**. I have absolutely adored this product and am so happy to have it incorporated it into my body skincare routine, Halloween or otherwise!
**Twice the nourishing oat
Daisy Teh is a paid spokesperson for HEALTHY ESSENTIALS®