Your Must-Have Guide to Lifelong Hair Care
Just like your skin, your body, and your personality, your hair goes through changes as you enter different stages of life. The key to healthy, strong hair is knowing what your hair needs at each different stage.
Use this must-have guide to lifelong hair care to create a hair care routine that suits where you – and your hair – are at in life.
Hair Care in Your 20s
In your 20s, you’ve got it made – your locks are lush, long, and rich with natural oils. Your hair is at its healthiest, but some of the things you might be tempted to do to it can negate all of its natural glory. Coloring, straightening, curling, blowouts, and even fad diets and stress can hurt your hair.
To withstand your 20s – and give you the freedom to pursue your #hairgoals – your hair needs sufficient nutrients. Choose products that do one or more of the following:
- Help repair damage, and provide strength, softness and shine with AVEENO® NOURISH+ MOISTURIZE SHAMPOO.
- Restore strength to combat breakage. We recommend AVEENO® Nourish + Strengthen shampoo and conditioner.
- Reduce damage from the chemical and heat treatments you use during styling, like AVEENO® Nourish + Volumize shampoo and conditioner.
Hair Care in Your 30s
When you reach your 30s, stress can start to take its toll on your hair by slowing its growth and dulling its glossy shine.
- Try to find calming ways to manage stress, like mindfulness, yoga and meditation, and remember that a healthy diet contributes to healthy hair and skin.
- According to Mayo Clinic, poor nutrition is one of the factors that can increase your risk of hair loss, so be sure to eat a nutritionally balanced diet.
- Give your hair lots of love when washing and styling, using products that nourish and strengthen. We recommend NEUTROGENA® Triple Moisture™ Cream Lather Shampoo and NEUTROGENA® Triple Moisture™ Daily Deep Conditioner – with NEUTROGENA® Triple Moisture™ Deep Recovery Hair Mask for a weekly shot of intense, rehabilitating moisture.
Hair Care During and After Pregnancy
If and when you become pregnant, your hair will go through even more changes! While it might grow thicker and more lustrous during pregnancy (thanks in part to those prenatal vitamins), it can thin postpartum as your hormone levels return to normal.
- Avoid harsh treatments like perms, relaxers, highlights, and dye during your prenatal phase.
- Turn to a volumizing shampoo and conditioner to keep your hair looking full and healthy postpartum.
- Skip damaging styling like teasing, blowouts, too-tight elastics, rollers, and weaves.
- And don’t forget that baby’s hair care products are great for your hair, too. JOHNSON’S® NO MORE TANGLES® detangling spray is great for a quick fix when you don’t have time to condition – whether you have children or just want gentle hair care products for yourself!
Hair Care in Your 40s
As your body starts to near and go through menopause, your supplies of the hormones androgen and estrogen will start to decrease.
- This can lead to hair starting to become more brittle, and thinning hair or hair loss on different parts of your scalp. This is a time when you want to use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, along with leave-in treatments to restore the nutrients your hair isn’t getting on its own.
- If you notice signs of thinning hair, such as your part widening or your ponytail thinning, consider a p roduct like Women’s ROGAINE®. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), female pattern hair loss (FPHL) affects millions of women and most often begins when a woman is in her 40s, 50s, or 60s.
- If you want to cover gray hairs that might be starting to show, keep in mind that dye can damage hair. It’s smart to stay within three color shades of your natural color – and it’s better to go darker than lighter.
Hair Care in Your 50s
During and after menopause, your hormone levels will further decline.
- If you haven’t already, switch to products that are restorative and gentle on your scalp, and free from harsh chemicals that cause further damage. AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL® Shampoo and Conditioner are sulfate-free and safe for drier, more brittle hair.
Treatment for thinning hair and hair loss is easy to acquire over-the-counter, regardless of when you first experience it. If it’s a concern for you, you don’t have to sit back and let Mother Nature run her course. Reclaim your confidence (and your natural volume) using Women’s ROGAINE®.
Links to third-party sources in this content are provided are for educational purposes only. No sponsorship or endorsement is implied. This article includes information from the Mayo Clinic and the American Academy of Dermatology.
©Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. 2018
For younger-looking skin, look no further than this trio of AVEENO®ABSOLUTELY AGELESS® skin care products. Complete with night cream, cleanser, and intensive renewal serum!