5 Ways to Make Traveling with Kids Easy and Fun
By Danielle Smith, Pretty Extraordinary
It is that time of year, families like yours and mine - itching to take advantage of warmer weather, spring break and summer vacation - make big plans, pack up their suitcases and hit the road for a big adventure. If you are anything like us, sometimes we take to the friendly skies and other times, it is all about the road trip.
Naturally, our one main goal: to have as much fun as possible on our family vacation. But how do you travel with kids and keep your sanity? Here are 5 tips to make the whole process a bit easier.
1. Have the Kids Help: I find that getting the kids involved in the packing process not only makes my life easier, but it helps to give them ownership of what they will be wearing while we are gone. Knowing that there will be 'one dress-up' dinner with the rest of the days dedicated to casual attire means they will be happily comfortable.
2. Have a Favorite Bag: Pick a designated 'travel bag' for each of your kids that not only stays packed for future travel, but is filled with the items they love (think blankets, a stuffed animal, or maybe even their favorite baseball cap) and those that will keep them occupied on flights or in the car. My small people always include books, a notebook and colored markers, and definitely a comfort item from home.
3. Don't Forget About You: In the midst of packing for everyone else, it is easy to forget about you. But, don't! Set aside a little time to choose a book and throw in a few of your favorite travel snacks. You'll be grateful this trip isn't ALL about the rest of the family.
4. Make First Aid a Priority: I cannot tell you how many times we've experienced a skinned knee or blister. Having a small first aid kit handy that can help to heal any ‘ouch’ moments makes everyone feel better. We always have BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages and NEOSPORIN® on hand.* Covering wounds when they happen has been clinically proven to help heal minor wounds five days faster. And of course, there is less chance of infection. Plus, NEOSPORIN® + Pain, Itch, Scar also provides infection protection, minimizes the appearance of scars and helps to combat pain and itching.
5. Goals and Hopes: Before you head out on your trip, have a family meeting to share what you HOPE your favorite memories will be. Collecting sea shells? Trying a new food? Seeing a baseball game? As you enjoy your vacation, you can check off the moments each family member was seeking.
What would you like to add to the list to make travel with kids easy? You know I always love to hear your thoughts.
*Use all products as directed: Using NEOSPORIN® Products past their expiration date is unsafe, risky, and does not guarantee effectiveness. Do not use any NEOSPORIN® Product that has expired. If your product has expired, please properly discard it and obtain a new product.
Danielle Smith is a paid spokesperson for the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® Program.