Yum! Sticky Rice Cereal Traffic Light Treats
By Becky Mansfield, Your Modern Family. Becky Mansfield is a paid spokesperson for HEALTHY ESSENTIALS®
No matter how busy things get, I always try to make time to cook with my kids. I have learned that by using fun, relevant themes and recipes, my children are more excited and engaged to partake.
Plus, the teacher in me wants to remind everyone that engaging our kids in cooking is a great way to work on reading (recipe cards), math (measuring) and science (turn a liquid into a solid!). I try to choose simple treats that don’t have too many steps so that my kids can lead the way! It’s a great way to let them gain confidence in themselves and bond with you.
Inspired by one of my kids’ favorite movies – Disney Pixar Cars 3™ – here is a recipe to create Rice Cereal Traffic Lights.
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- ½ stick butter
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate-colored candies
1. Let your child separate the chocolate-colored candy by colors. We took out the red, yellow and green candy to make lights.
2. Next, put the ingredients in a saucepan except for the chocolates.
3. Melt it over low heat, mixing constantly.
4. Pour the mixture into the bowl of cereal. (Note: it will be hot, so be cautious!)
5. Press the mixture into a sprayed baking dish. Use the back of a buttered spoon to pat it down.
6. Start putting your candies onto the treats before they cool down.
7. For fun, I added little sticks to ours & put some mini candies on a few of them, to make bite-sized treats for the kids.
Now just let them smell work its magic as your family soon gathers around the treat!
Watch how quickly the treats go!
Baking with your family is always a wonderful way to spend time together. They will remember it fondly as they grow up and they will bake with their own kids. It’s a great gift to pass down… the gift of learning that baking is time well spent with family.
Becky Mansfield is a paid spokesperson for HEALTHY ESSENTIALS®